Thursday, September 1, 2011

Mommy Help!

Hey Moms out there! I need some help. I have done a lot of research on some things and need some REAL mom opinions :)

I know I want a travel system (yes, they are bulky, but I'm a first time mom, and want the big old thing) The one I think I have decided on is the Chicco Cortina Keyfit 30 Travel system. (click the link)
Questions:
1. If you have had a Chicco, how did you like it?
2. How did baby like it?
3. Would you recommend getting the up to 22 pounds or up to 30 pounds?

Swing. I don't know which one I want! Would you get a full size swing, or a little mini travel swing? I can't decide!!

Diapers. What diapers have worked the best for you and your kids, and why?!

Boppy or MyBreastFriend to breast feed?

And finally,
What are the MUST HAVES. Is a swing even a must have? Or just a bouncer? What about a boppy? Necessary or not? Play yard? Jumper?

Any help or tips would be wonderful!

11 comments:

  1. I'll help you out! Okay, I had a travel system too and I really liked it. I didn't have Chicco, I had baby trend which I really liked. I've heard great things about Chicco. If I went back, I would buy just a carseat AND runner, instead of the stroller. Now I have two BUT I love the runner so much more! I would do the larger weight, just so you can use it longer!

    Boston didn't like a swing, so I didn't have one. I borrowed one to see if he liked it, and he didn't so that was an easy decision! He did, however, LOVE a bouncer chair, we bought one from target. PLUS, it's easy to set them down in and they'll fall asleep so fast.

    I only used Huggies diapers. I bought them at Costco in bulk. I do recommend that when they're tiny tiny using swaddler diapers. That helps keep 'everything' in.

    I loved my boppy--totally recommend! Hope this helps!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maria! I've thought about a running stroller, but I don't run! AT ALL. haha, so I decided it was probably pointless lol. Maybe I'll try to borrow a bouncer and swing the first weeks and make sure he likes them before we spend money one them! Good idea! I've heard the pampers swaddlers are awesome for newborn newborn. I have a costco membership so maybe I'll have to go get diapers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I'm not a mommy YET, but I've been doing tons of research and talking to so many people...and here is what I have heard:

    Everyone i have asked about strollers and carseats say the Chicco Keyfit is the best. I didn't end up getting it because I found a Graco travel system for a way good deal and the ratings were very similar online. BUT, they say that Chicco has great safety ratings and is easy to clean and lasts a long time. You also don't need to get a "jogger" until they are older and can hold their head up enough (8 months or so) IF you get one at all.

    I don't know about the swing vs bouncer. We were given a bouncer and I bought a barely-used Fisher Price Cradle Swing off Craigslist for super cheap. If she doesn't like it, I can just sell it I guess.

    Diapers - We stocked up on Pampers Swaddlers for when she is a newborn (Amazon Mom and Diapers.com are the BEST for buying diapers!). After that, I hear that Costco Diapers (Kirkland) work just as well as anything and they are cheap. Also, wipes there are really cheap! About Amazon Mom...sign up for the service and then when you find a great deal on the diapers/wipes you want, select the "Subscribe and Save" option and you will get free 2-day shipping, and it is cheaper. Then, once the diapers are delivered, you can cancel the subscription OR if you want, you can continue to have them delivered (but the price can change at any time, which is weird). I check this website often: freebies2deals.com. She posts great Amazon deals for diapers and wipes often!

    SEVERAL of my friends have told me to get the MyBrestFriend and their lactation consultants recommended them and when I took a breastfeeding class, the teacher recommended it over a Boppy. I think they are more expensive, but better.

    SO, the only other thing I have been hearing from SEVERAL girls lately is to buy an electric breast pump. I wasn't planning on it, but so many of my friends have said that they didn't buy one before their baby was born, but ended up running to the store and paying a ridiculous amount for an electric pump because they were desperate for one. They are sooo expensive, but I have been looking on Amazon and you can find them for cheaper on there. I hear that nursing can (and usually is) one of the hardest things about being a first-time mom and the electric pump supposedly helps alleviate some of that stress. I don't know!

    I feel like this is getting WAY too long, but I JUST finished buying everything (and I am WAY picky and read way too many reviews haha) so I'm just going to spill what I know haha. I hear Avent bottles are the best, Soothies or Gumdrop pacifiers are the best for when they are tiny to help with "nipple confusion," Aden and Anais swaddling blankets are awesome because they are huge and breathable. I was given the book "The Happiest Baby on the Block" and have friends who "swear" by it - I guess we will see if it works when my baby comes haha. It liked reading it and Bryson read it too! He is excited to "try out" the things he learned from it.

    Anyway, that's my 2 cents haha. Wayyy too much information, I'm sorry!! Babies are SO expensive, huh!? But it's fun buying all the cute, tiny stuff! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marci got something called a (no joke) "Hooter Hider" for breast feeding. In my opinion, if you're going to give your product a name like that, it is beholden on me to purchase it.

    Also - stop stressing out! The difference between various baby products isn't that big of a deal. We went through our share of baby equipment and found that one thing was pretty much as good as the next. Remember to stick with basic stuff as it lasts longer AND doesn't cost as much. The only person who really cares about all the bells and whistles is you. Your baby won't care at all for quite a while.

    As for Diapers - we just got Costco diapers. They were the cheapest and best around at the time.

    However, I would seriously recommend you look at Amazon.com and look at the "Amazon Mom" package. You can automatically have your diaper of choice delivered to your house (for free)on a schedule that you can change at any time. From what I understand the prices are quite good as well.

    Watching first-time mothers is always entertaining. So much stress. When you become a veteran mom, you'll look back on this and be highly amused as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone!

    Ashley, I signed up for amazon mom and that's why I already have some luvs :) haha. I have them delivered every 3 months now, and will cancel soon :) I have size two diapers... I was too scared to buy too many little diapers, in case he's huge! haha. We actually have a swing and the MyBreastFriend thing (A friend just told me I could have hers! SO SWEET) I will have to look into those pacifiers! I never would have thought it mattered what kind of pacifiers to get lol. I knew about the wipes at costco, cause the girls I babysit use them and I know they are good and cheap :) Ps, your baby clothes are SO cute! I can't believe you got that much! HOLY MOLY! Yeah, I think I will get an electric pump, i just don't know if I should get the double one or save 150 dollars and just get a single one... ugh! So much money! lol

    Jared: HAHA thanks I'll have to get one of those ridiculously named covers. Hey, I can be stressed. It's allowed :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you are going to be in school/working full time after he's born, get a double pump. If not, get a single.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok well I will be working... poo. lol :) I'll have to check amazon to see if I can find a good one for cheaper! Hey guess what? baby webster comes soon! Are you soooo excited!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. So i totally have the chicco travel system and really loved it. it made getting carseat in/out of car really easy! I think mine was up to 22 pounds because thats all I could find but i'd recommend 30 pounds. We bought a Graco swing and literally never used it. Your just going to hold that baby all the time anyway lol. I DID use the baby papasan chair alot though. Pampers are the best diapers in my opinion. For boys anyway. I know alot of moms who claim huggies are the best but they always have girls so I dunno!! I only nursed for a little over a week but i found the boppy to be a bit awkward and we used it more for when Deacon was learning how to sit and stuff. I liked it for that though. Must haves? Hmm, a BUMBO when they are old enough was AWESOME. A good bunch of burp cloths, really soft swaddling blankets, a video monitor was really nice to have also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Stef! I'm glad you loved your chicco! That makes me feel 100x better :) I guess I'll just have to play with the diapers and figure out which ones he likes best huh? Ok, so a bumbo is a good purchase, I wasn't sure! I'm getting so excited and I'm only halfway there! lol (ok so not even halfway!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think as long as your car seat/travel system does it's job, then get the most affordable one. I paid half the price of a chicco getting an Evenflo and it's worked great. Also, no matter what car seat you get, get the highest weight limit. My friend and I had babies a week apart, and they weigh the same, and she had to buy a new car seat MONTHS ago because her baby passed the weight limit and we JUST now got Preston a new car seat. {So much for an expensive car seat when you only use it 3-4 months}

    I had a boppy and loved it. I think any breast feeding "helper" is wonderful.

    I was given a swing as a gift but Preston didn't like it too much. He was content for a little while but then he would get fussy. The baby I nanny practically lives in a swing. There's really no way to tell.

    If you plan to breast feed, which is sounds like you do, get nipple cream! You may not need it, if you don't that's awesome, but you don't want to have to go out and get it once you are cracked and tender. Preventative measures!

    Preston was too big to fit in swaddling blankets so we bought a swaddler and it's like a little baby straight jacket. He loved it and it did its job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man...I want to write a novel right now, but I don't have time. I will be back tomorrow to give my expertise:)

    But the biggest thing I can probably say is...you can't plan as well as you want because every baby is different. A full size swing was a must have for me...but some babies won't even sit in it.

    I'll be back...

    ReplyDelete