I'll always remember 10 years ago today. September 11, 2001 was one of the most horrifying events I've ever been through. I was in seventh grade, sitting in the American School Foundation in Mexico City, in English class. Some girl came running in saying, "someone bombed the world trade center!" Panic and horror struck. We all were told to go into one classroom, and they turned on the news for us. I honestly did not even know what the world trade center was. I was so confused, and just knew that someone was attacking innocent American's lives. As we were watching the news, a bomb threat was called into our school, and the alarms all started going off. This was a big deal, because it was an AMERICAN school. We were all escorted out to the football field. No one was in, and no one was allowed out for what it seemed like hours. I don't actually remember how long we stood outside, but I remember I was terrified. The United States was getting attacked, and now our school might have a bomb in it... Our school was right by the airport, and every plane that went by, we thought was going to bomb us. (seventh grade remember) Finally, my dad was able to pick me up, and we went home. The American Embassy did not want us to leave our houses for a few days (I might be wrong on how long as well) just to be safe. We sat around and watched the news. It was horrible seeing the people in the streets of New York covered in debris. It was amazing to watch those firefighters and police men who were risking their own lives to save others. I remember being SO scared. I didn't understand why someone would attack innocent people, and why it was all happening. I cried myself to sleep for a few nights.
Thank you so much to everyone who has given up their lives to fight for our freedom. I am so thankful for all of you who fight in anyway to help us achieve our goal.
I WILL NEVER FORGET!
No comments:
Post a Comment