We got into Salzburg around dinnertime. This was the first hotel we stayed in on the trip. We checked into our two rooms, and were all delighted when we found out their internet actually worked pretty well! YAY for technology!
We were starving, so headed into town to eat some dinner. I ate my first REAL salad the entire trip and it was pretty tasty, even with their strange dressings :)
The next morning we started our Sound of Music Bike Tour!!! It was AMAZING. Luckily my mom made us watch The Sound of Music the weekend before our trip, so we actually knew the songs and the movie!
This is the COOLEST way to see the city. We rode about 10 miles around the city seeing all the sites from the movie and singing songs from the movie. We even acted out scenes:
Dancing around the fountain (my mom was the best Maria.)
This is the view from the Abbey:
The Trapp kids begging to see Maria:
The Trap house:
We are basically experts:
Where the song "I am 16 going on 17" was filmed...
After the tour, we went to the grossest burger place I've ever eaten at and then went up the mountain to the fortress that overlooks the city.
The tram that goes up to the fortress:
I decided if I had lived in Salzburg during ancient times, I would want to live in the fortress :) It's pretty spectacular. And there was wifi. :)
After that, Greg and I decided to go home and try to get some laundry done. Unfortunately, the laundromat was closed, so we actually just walked around a bit, and took a cat nap. We went to the TINIEST crepe shop ever for dinner. It was SPECTACULAR. My crepe was turkey, cheese, garlic sauce, and onions. Oh my gosh. Perfection. Turned in for an early night.
Day 2:
On day two, we decided we wanted to go the city of Berchtesgaden, just about 25 minutes outside of Salzburg. It's actually in Germany I believe, which was cool. They are known for their salt mine tour! It was SO cheesy, yet so fun! We learned all sorts of fun stuff about salt, rode down wooden slides, and even went boating across the mine. HAHA! If you're ever in Salzburg, I highly recommend this little tour.
After we did the salt mine tour, we went over to a town called Konigsee that was just a few miles away. It was SO cute, and at the base of the Alps, along a lake where you can take a boat out to see the castle that was the inspiration for Cinderella's castle at Disneyland. We took the ski lift up the mountain and it was an AMAZING view. We saw mountain goats, mountain cows, and beautiful little ponds. We got up to the top, and unfortunately it was all covered in clouds.
After exploring a bit at the top, we got back on the lift, and got off at the halfway point, and went "wanderwagen" (hiking) trying to find our way to a little lake we saw from the lift. Well, we got their and had some photoshoots. We also called the kids from way up there and got to facetime!
Our photoshoot:
So, on the way back, we decided to go back a different way. Well, we missed the turn, and hiked WAY longer than we were planning. We didn't come prepared to actually go on a real hike! So finally after about 15 minutes of going the wrong way we turned around and found the turn which was like 2 minutes from the lake! Then it was STRAIGHT up hill. (ok, so maybe I'm exaggerating, but I was tired, and it sure felt straight up)Once we made it back to the lift, it started lightly raining and thundering. Of course my mom and I were all freaked out that we would be struck by lightning lol.
We really wanted to see the historic town by the lake and possibly go on the boat to see the castle. Unfortunately, by the time we got there, it was raining pretty hard, and we found out the boat tour took 2 hours. Oh well, we settled for some gelato instead!
After that, we went home and my mom and dad and I went to the laundromat to get some laundry done. Tyler and Greg took a nap, then we met them for a LATE dinner at some German Fox restaurant, that was finally a good German meal.
When we woke up the next morning, we went to the train station, and hopped on our train to Munich!
No comments:
Post a Comment