Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Hallstatt

On our way to Salzburg, we stopped at Halstatt. We had a LONG day in the bus though. Luckily, my mom hooked us up and we had a HUGE 49 passenger bus for the 12 of us :) We stopped 3 hours in at a gas station for our first taste of Austrian/German food. Let me say. Not a super big fan. But then we realized we were judging it based on a gas station. haha. But, I did get my first dose of German chocolate!
We drove another 3.5 hours and decided to take a detour to Hallstatt before going into Salzburg. Boy was I glad we did! It's the prettiest, most picturesque town I have ever seen. I wish we could have spent the night there! We walked down the street and back, and we loved every second there! I may have bought every souvenir from the trip in this tiny town :)


 In the center of the town:
 My cute mom and Tyler:
 Ok, so there was  big church up some stairs, on top of the hill. We went up and found a graveyard. It was really small. Well, apparently, families each have one spot for multiple family members. So, when someone dies in their family, they dig out older bones, bleach them, and then put them in the bone house, to make room for new bones in the grave!
 The bone house (they decorate their skulls!):
 On top of the hill at the church:
After "wanderwagen" through the town for a couple hours, and after personally spending all my cash on bath salts, soaps, and cute ornaments, we got back on our big bus, and headed into Salzburg!

No comments:

Post a Comment