Saturday, June 4, 2016

Pregnancy number 3.


Wow. Where to begin. This has been a "fun" pregnancy so far :)
So, I found out I was pregnant on Super Bowl Sunday. I was only about 3 1/2 weeks pregnant, and was SO excited. Greg didn't see the line on the stick, so the next morning, I ran to the store at 6 AM and bought 3 more tests. Yes. I'm that crazy person.
We had been trying 5 months, and in January I had a chemical pregnancy. So, I wanted to be sure.

So, indeed, I was pregnant! I never took a picture of the other 3 tests, but this was the first test from Sunday :)
I immediately want in for HCG and progesterone numbers since I have a history of low progesterone and everything looked great!
Fast forward a week and a half. I was making dinner, and I started having EXTREME pain in my lower right stomach. I called my best friend and my boss and they both told me that it could be an ectopic pregnancy.
So, I called the OBGYN.
Sure enough, she was worried about an ectopic and sent me to the ER.

I got to the ER, got put on pain medicine and zofran. They took me back for an ultrasound and it went something like this.
US tech: "So, you had a positive pregnancy test?"
Me: "uhhh yes"
Tech: "hmmmmmph"
Tech: "Did you get your HCG levels checked?"
Me: "yeah and they doubled"
Tech: "oh... they did?"

So, I wasn't feeling very confident at this point.
The doctor came in after many hours, and told me that they found a 9 CM cyst on my right ovary. (That was one cm bigger than my uterus at that point!!!!). That was what was causing the pain. He also told me that they didn't find a fetal pole, just a yolk sack, so basically they weren't sure if the baby was going to develop or not.
Remember, I was only 5 weeks at this point.
I left the ER feeling mixed emotions. I was glad it wasn't an ectopic pregnancy, but I was worried about the baby.
Then of course I went and researched about huge cysts on my ovary, and that didn't help either. Basically, there are three things that can happen:
1. it goes away on it's own
2. it gets bigger until it either bursts, or needs to be taken out via surgery
3. it gets twisted, cuts off blood supply, and you can lose the baby, and your ovary.

So, I waited another week and a half until I finally had my follow up appointment with my OB. They looked again, and said it had shrunken to 6 cm! That was great news, because that meant the likelihood of it twisting was next to nothing. They also found a heartbeat of 105! (not as fast as they would like to see though.)
The doctor wanted to see me 2 weeks later to check the heartbeat, and the cyst again.
This is when I decided I wanted to announce. I had told people about the cyst, hoping for some prayers... I also decided that whatever the outcome of this pregnancy, I Wanted to celebrate it and not fear it. So, I announced on FB!

Well, the cyst eventually shrunk, and I suffered through the first trimester. Lots of sleeping, throwing up, and being nauseated. I am NOT a happy pregnant person. I am miserable. Lol. The back pain and pelvic pain started around 12 weeks, and it's been as bad as it was when I was 36 plus weeks with liv. Probably due to the medical issues that I have been diagnosed with after Olivia.

So, second trimester hits, and I start feeling better, but then we get hit with 2 stomach bugs in 2 weeks. It was AWFUL.

I head to my 16 week appointment. They tell me they are going to take blood. I don't think to ask "why?"
I then am told I'm measuring at almost 20 weeks. Awesome, right?! So, basically, I'm a fat, huge, uncomfortable lady, who also feels like she's 36 weeks pregnant. YAY me.

The next Tuesday, I get a phone call from my OB's nurse, telling me they need to talk to me about my blood work. I shudder, and wonder if I'm too fat, and have diabetes or something. I call them back, not knowing what to expect.

Well, she explained to me, that I had a 1 in 29 chance of this baby having down syndrome. A normal person my age has a 1 in 800 chance. Because I had such a high risk, they wanted me to see a Fetal Maternal Medicine specialist and have a detailed ultrasound, along with go over my options.
I immediately started bawling. I called my mom, hyperventilating (Greg was working and I didn't want to worry him...) After my amazing mom calmed me down, I knelt down in prayer, and asked Heavenly Father to comfort me. After that, I knew that whatever was going to happen, I could handle it. And no matter what, I would love this sweet baby of mine.

Surprisingly I stayed calm until my appointment 2 days later. Greg and I went to the apt while my awesome in laws watched our kids for almost 5 hours. I felt calm, and ready to find out answers.
We were given our options, and decided to have an amnio. We were told that 60-70 percent of down syndrome kids actually appear "normal" on the ultrasound. So, while we would have the ultrasound done to detect major issues, we would still have the amnio. The amnio was the only way of knowing 100 percent if baby had it or not.

The ultrasound was AMAZING. It was probably over an hour of seeing EVERYTHING so clearly, detailed, and watching that sweet boy move around like crazy. I've never had such a clear ultrasound. I fell in love with him even more while watching him stretch and cuddle in my uterus.
There were no big markers found, but the doctor told me that my hormones had some red flags in it, that usually marker a down syndrome baby.


Next was the Amnio. If you've never heard of an amnio, basically, they stick a LONG hollow needle through your uterus to take out some of the amniotic fluid to test for chromosome issues. I actually was quite calm. The initial poke hurt, and once the needle goes into your uterus you get a contraction until they take the needle out. Luckily, I've been through labor a couple of times, so this wasn't so horrible. The needle was probably in me for 45 seconds to a minute.

Once we were done, we were told that I was on bedrest for 24 hours. And boy did I stick to that. I didn't get up other than to pee. Livy would come to me and hug me and say "you can't lift me mommy". It was adorable!
We got the quick results the Monday after, and found out that everything looked good! So relieved :)

I am so thankful that Heavenly Father helped me process everything the day I got the call. I cannot imagine having to deal with that news alone. He immediately calmed me, and prepared me for whatever was going to happen.

So, that was about 3 weeks ago that all of that happened. Well, then, this week, I got in a car accident. YAY. My OB told me to go to the ER, but I was SO exhausted from my trip to Utah and the car crash, that I actually didn't... I was feeling him move around like crazy, and wasn't having any contractions or anything.
I had an apt with my OB yesterday (20 week check up), and they took my BP 3 times and it was high the first two times, and a bit better the third time. My normal BP is 105/60 soooooo 130/90 wasn't so great. My OB said not to worry, because I've had a stressful week, but how can I not worry?! I got pre e with Jaxon!

Here's to hoping the rest of this pregnancy stays NORMAL. SHEESH.

No comments:

Post a Comment